Dr Brechtje Post
Dr Brechtje Post is pleased to consider applications from prospective PhD students.
Language Sciences Interdisciplinary Research Centre
My research primarily focuses on speech prosody - intonation, accentuation, rhythm, and phrasing. Prosody simultaneously encodes information from different components of the linguistic system in the speech signal, in particular morpho-syntax, pragmatics, and discourse and information structure. I investigate how this information is cued in the signal, how we perceive it, how it is exploited in speech comprehension, and how we acquire it (as children, or as multilingual adults).
Relevant research projects:
- Online processing of prosodic boundaries by L2 learners of English
- Categories and gradience in intonation: Evidence from linguistics and neurobiology
- Neural correlates of intonation
- Developing a large scale online study of L1 and L2 speech perception
- Temporal and frontal systems in past tense processing
Acoustic analysis (of speech)
Cross-sectional and cohort studies
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Associated News Items